Friday, October 15, 2021

We aren't even half way there, and two stupid mistakes...

 I got up this morning at 6:30.  Val was meeting me at my place and we were to leave at 9.  Did I pack the night before.  No.  Did I clean out the car the night before.  No.  Did I do much of anything the night before.  Yes, I had dinner with Chris and we watched Married at First Sight so an evening well spent.  Well spent but not productively spent. 

But no worries. I got everything together in a ridiculous number of bags (two duffles with clothes, books, binoculars and sundries, one bag of dry food, one bag of cold food, one bag of knitting, one bag for my computer and one board game).  

Cat has a sitter who will start staying at the house overnight this weekend.  So, she will pout for a day but will be fine.  

So, off we went, on time.  A miracle.  Gas up in Mill Bay Coop.  Into the store for coffee and a bathroom break, and off we went again.  

It was raining pretty hard as we drove but nothing too terrible.  We stopped in Cumberland for lunch.  We went to a nice restaurant that I don't remember the name of but it was across the street from the Cumberland Bakery where we watched a steady stream of people waiting patiently in the rain.  Our next stop!  We went to pay out bill and this is when I discovered that I had lost my visa card.  Checked the car, rewalked our route.  

I called the Coop in Mill Bay as we stood in line for the bakery.  Yes, they have it.  I can pick it up at anytime.  I guess next Saturday.  So, no visa for a week.  (I just checked and so far no weird charges).  Mistake number one. 



We bought our bakery goods (one donut, one cinnamon bun, one carrot cake and two meat pies) and headed to Campbell River.  We got to the ferry just as it was pulling out of the dock.  An hour wait.  It was raining pretty hard but we did a little walkabout and then just sat in the car.  But it was getting close to time to load and we were super foggy, I couldn't see out the window.  So I turned on the engine and defrosted for 15 minutes.  Time to load, we were first in line:  battery dead.  Mistake number two.  




See, the window was fogged up!

I have driven to Campbell River a million times, filled up at the Coop and taken the ferry without incident so clearly this is all Val's fault (she won't read this will she? - better turn of the comments before she tries to defend herself with facts or other malarkey).  

Anyway, there we sat like a dead bug as the ferry lady tried to wave us into action.  I had to get out of the car and do this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  She made me walk to the ticket booth, past all of the cars I was holding up and get the 'booster box'.  And then walk back past them again so she could boost my car.  The west coast version of the walk of shame!  Anyway, my car started and we tucked in behind the third row.  But I had to keep my car running for the whole ride and then do a drive out to Rebecca Spit to make sure the battery got enough of a charge.  It was pouring, and we weren't sure if we were fully charged yet so we just turned around and headed to Mom and Bill's.

We were planning to stay over even though Mom and Bill were in Saskatchewan.  But it turns out they had just arrived home and had forgotten we were coming.  I'm sure they were thrilled to have house guests but they didn't kick us out.  Mom made sides for our meat pies and served up some wine and beer.  And then we all went to our beds after a long day of driving in the rain.  

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one to have things go wrong on my vacation. Everything worked out in the end you and you have some fun memories now!...Remember when...

    ReplyDelete

Leaving Sointula, Cambell River and Quadra Island

 Last post of the trip.  We were worried yesterday with the storm and the ferry cancellation so we decided to leave Malcolm Island/Sointula ...