Monday, October 18, 2021

Port Alice Day three, SE Main (logging road) and SeaWalk

 I went to bed so early last night after our huge hike that I woke up at 1am!  Or maybe the bears woke me up.  They were into the garbage bin outside of my bedroom window from 2:30 to about 4am.  I have a blurry dark photo which I would use if I was bear-desperate (but I'm not, spoiler alert!).  

Another nice day (those are forecast to end soon).  I wanted to do this logging road 'loop'.  When we met our host I mentioned that I wanted to do the loop.  She eyed my car suspiciously and said, 'I guess it will make it if you go slow'.  My brain, of course. heard 'Green Light!'.  

So this morning, first we gassed up.  Our host encouraged us to use the gas station so 'she stays open'.  Ok.  Then we headed west (or south, I really have no idea, spoiler alert).  We got to the mill with big stop signs and gates and instructions to sign in.  Hmm.  We got a bit nervous so we took a few pictures and turned around.  



Then we decided to go to the boat launch at the other end of town to see what the view was from there.  Shockingly, the view is also lovely.  Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about your love of mushrooms!  


Shaggy mushrooms


This guy was just standing on the point, looking photogenic


We were close to the east/north (or whatever) end of the loop so I convinced Val that we were allowed to use the logging road. And at this end, there was a sign for a park and camp site.  First stop Link River Campsite.  


"Likes picnic baskets"

The motherload!!  


Onward with the loop.  



This is where things probably went 'wrong' (but not)

Just to prove we were on a logging road

We were coming around the bottom of the loop when things got very beautiful. First the waterfall and then this picturesque marsh where we saw a real bear!  And he caught a fish right in front of me (far away but in front).  Even without the bear, it was stunning. 












We spent quite a bit of time with the bear.  He was over on an island?  There was some water and a bit of a cliff between us and him so we were feeling very secure.  Then we drove on for a while more.  After a few more kilometers, I realized that the water was on our right and it should have been on our left!  At some point, I had turned off of SE Main and onto Marine, which is a logging road that turns into Alice Lake Road/Highway 30.  Except I turned the wrong way (or missed a turn, I have no idea).  Anyway, we had gone all of the way around the bottom of the inlet and were heading back up the other side.  

I am not too sorry, actually I'm not sorry at all, because that is where the waterfall and the bear were.  Here is a cut out of a map.  Roughly, the blue is the loop, the purple was our 'side trip'.  Red was already on the map so just ignore that but it is the Link River Rd which goes elsewhere.  


We finally got back on track, inlet on the left, passed the mill and got home in time for dinner. The road was really good for a logging road and my car did fine.  

Next activity, the Sea Walk which is on the other side of town, toward the mill.  




Port Alice from the sea walk


At the end of the Sea Walk, there is an island that you can walk out too during low tide.  It is appropriately named Walkout Island.  Can't say no to that sort of obvious direction.  We had timed our walk to coincide with low tide and sunset. 

This is Walkout Island as seen from the Sea Walk

Coming out of the forest trail onto the island

Walkout Island

Some other island, at sunset


Then we came home, well almost home.  Right next to our building is the Port Alice legion.  So we popped in for a beer.  

This is from our first day in town.  The Legion, right next door


They gave us a ribbon as first time visitors! 

Then we came home.  Now I am doing a load of laundry and we are packing up the kitchen because we leave for Sointula tomorrow.  We have a few things to do around here in the morning though.  I have to say, I like Port Alice and the people are so nice.  I think every person who drove by us gave us a little wave and anyone who walked by us said hello.  Plus, you know, a BEAR!  

1 comment:

Leaving Sointula, Cambell River and Quadra Island

 Last post of the trip.  We were worried yesterday with the storm and the ferry cancellation so we decided to leave Malcolm Island/Sointula ...